The Fraser Family
Hector Fraser purchased Killalea along with Gladys Dunster and Laura Stratford Dunster on the 16th March, 1920.
Mr Hector Fraser married Hilda Dunster, a member of the well-known and respected Dunster’s of Shellharbour. They had three sons; D’Arcy, William and John. Hector Fraser was a well-respected community member who was not afraid to speak his mind on any matter. He was chairman for 17 years and director for 27 years of the Illawarra Cooperative Central Dairy Society.
He was also director of Dairy Farmers Milk Company of Sydney and for a number of years had been deputy chairman, as well as director of the Kiama Pastures Protection Board among other significant positions in the area. The farm he established at Killalea was one of the best in the district.
Mr John McNevin Fraser was born August 27th, 1921 to Hector and Hilda Fraser. The family resided in Albion Park on a property known as ‘Bush Grove’. There Mr
Fraser spent the first two years of his life, moving to Killalea where his family began dairy farming. The herd from Bush Grove was relocated to Killalea and the farm in Albion Park was leased. On completion of his education, Mr Fraser studied accountancy at a firm in Ultimo with a partner of the firm and by day a clerk for the Dairy Farmers Milk Cooperative. The war arrived in 1940 and Mr Fraser was sent to New Guinea and Borneo as a Sergeant in the Signal Corps.
Mr Fraser returned home after the war and attended Hawkesbury Agricultural College for two years. On the 14th of April 1951 he married Mrs Joan Fraser nee (Smith) and together had two children; Christine and Peter.
Imperial Chemical Industries purchased the property in 1956 from Mr Fraser to build an explosives plant. Mr Fraser was asked to remain on the property as a manager. Killalea was fortunately never used for industrial purposes as explosives of this kind were no longer needed as an alternative was found.
Unfortunately Seaview was destroyed by fire and all that remains are extensive concrete slabs of the dairy, piggery, a well and water troughs. Evidence of a garden and exotics are visible with the stone walls approaching the house site from the north.
Mr Fraser left in 1958 and purchased a property in Kiama where he resides today.